DITAVAL-references allow to create topic variants.
Note: The same variant and aggregation mechanism is applied when using DITAVAL-references on map references.
The number of topic variants generated equals the number of DITAVAL-references applied to it.
If you have the topic c_time_capacitor.dita on which to apply the two DITAVALs OD1000.ditaval and OD2000.ditaval, two different variants of the topic are generated and added to the document:
- c_time_capacitor.dita in its OD1000 version with the pricing information for the time capacitor for the OD1000 time machine
- c_time_capacitor.dita in its OD2000 version with the pricing information for the time capacitor for the OD2000 time machine
Note: No actual files are created in the DITA project. Only c_time_capacitor.dita file remains in the project.
- Prepare the topic c_time_capacitor.dita with its content variants.
- Prepare the DITAVAL files OD1000.ditaval and OD2000.ditaval.
- Add the DITAVAL-references at the topicref level in the DITA
map. The following lines show how the DITAVAL-references are applied to a topic
reference in the DITA map file:
<topicref href="c_time_capacitor.dita"> <ditavalref href="OD1000.ditaval"/> <ditavalref href="OD2000.ditaval"/> </topicref>